Sunday 12 May 2013

Luke Davenport - Rockingham blog

Photo: Jakob Ebrey Motorsport Photography
It had certainly been a busy start to the month for Luke Davenport as he prepared for the fourth, fifth and sixth rounds of the Protyre Motorsports Ginetta GT5 Challenge take place at Rockingham. Outside his racing Luke is coming to the end of his first year at Oxford Brookes University and therefore it is exam time. “Its never ideal having distractions going into a race weekend nevertheless we had a decent test day at Rockingham on the Tuesday prior to the race weekend. Things were looking positive as we put in some good mileage and got down to a decent setup with times looking handsome”.

“On the way into qualy we had set the second fastest time in the mornings free practice, however, the gap to first was still eight tenths. This was a bit gutting as I had no idea how I could find that sort of time before the next session. We were pretty sure pole was off the cards as Will Burns would inevitably be strong on new rubber. Therefore I was hoping for a decent set of podiums to bring back for Henderson Insurance and Reflex Racing. Sure enough Will put down a very impressive marker with myself, Brad Bailey and David Pittard battling over the top three spots on the grid."

“Considering we were over 2mph down in every speed trap, a 3rd and two 4th is pretty good. On reflection the weekends races were a good points haul and with consistency being essential in this championship, I'm not too disappointed. I am however, frustrated with loosing two 2nd places, both of which ended up being 4th positions. Not to worry though, onwards and upwards. We have to keep pinching ourselves that this is my second season in a racing car so we are happy to be in a championship fight and turning heads. The racing was good and I am continuing to develop my racecraft”.

“We have some pretty exciting things happening over the rest of the season. Henderson Insurance are providing me with some potentially very special opportunities which will become apparent throughout the year. As well as that I am very privileged to be now working with Rob Bell as my driver coach which I believe will provide a massive boost to my technique. We are testing at Silverstone at the end of next week with a new engine which should also help regain some of the lost time to Will at the next round”.

No comments:

Post a Comment