Wednesday 13 March 2013

Hunter joins Compact Cup

Hunter was the 2012 Saxmax Champion
Photo: Michael Barrett
17-year-old Owen Hunter will move up into the BMW Compact Cup this season which runs within the 750 Motor Club programme.

Hunter has been racing in the Saxmax series for 14-17 year olds for the last three seasons. He said "The last few years of my racing have been very much up and down time in the Saxmax series." The youngster had a very unlucky first couple of seasons in which the car wasn't always on the pace. But, in 2012 Hunter had a magnificent season where he took the championship with taking seven victories in the ten race season. "I finally had my lucky breakthrough at Silverstone and that was a start of a trend for the year."

Since the end of the Saxmax season the youngster has had to upgrade his license to be able to move up into senior racing. "I also competed in a few senior races where I kept my great year going." Hunter raced his little Citroen Saxo at both the Silverstone Birkett 6 Hour Relay, as well as the Plum Pudding races which took place at Mallory Park on Boxing Day where he took two class victories.

The youngster now moves into the BMW Compact Cup, "We choose it over other series for the main reasons of: competitiveness, the car great car choice and the very small budget needed to compete!" This season the series has got backing from Maragoni and every race will be shown as a highlight programme on Motors TV. "It shows all the hard work Paul has put into the championship is being paid by the championship getting bigger day by day."

The 17-year-old finds it tricky to actually set a goal for the season because of the massive grids and the competitiveness of the series. "I believe if I can get consistent top ten finishes for my first few races I will be pleased. When everything has calmed down I will be chasing top five's and podium places but I'm not expecting huge results so early into the year." Hunter also won't get to drive his Compact "in anger" until the day of the first round which takes place at Donington Park as the car is currently still in build with all the parts coming together and they aren't expecting the car to be completed until moments before the first weekend.

Written by Joshua Barrett (Twitter: @JoshCommentator)

No comments:

Post a Comment