Tuesday 25 March 2014

Dan Blake to make racing debut

26-year-old Dan Blake will make his racing debut in the 2014 Hyundai Coupe Cup. Blake from Trowbridge, Wiltshire has joined the ever growing Coupe Cup grid. He will be run by the newly formed family team Blake Motorsport, in a Gen 2 Hyundai Coupe.

The Hyundai Coupe Cup is run on the Track Attack Race Club programme and the first rounds next weekend at Rockingham 5th/6th April support BARC Clio's, Formula Renault and Junior Saloon Car Championship.

The car has been meticulously prepared by Jon Winter at Exit 13 and has undergone a major overhaul ready for this season. The car was last seen in the Coupe Cup in 2012 driven by Jon Walton.

This will be the first season that Dan has raced cars. The last two years has seen Dan race in the British Universities Karting Championship run by 3T Racing and Club 100. Dan raced in America for a season and a half at the age of eight, before not racing anything for fifteen years prior to BUKC.

Blake is going into this season with learning the main priority, "This year is purely a learning year for me and anything extra results wise is really a bonus. The only time that I have been on a race track at any kind of racing speed was when I was doing my ARDS test last October, so I am a complete novice. I have a lot to learn and the Hyundai Coupe Cup is the ideal place for me to learn and enjoy my racing. Most of the other competitors are also in their first racing series, it is an ideal first championship for me and I am looking forward to seeing how the season evolves for us. The grids are increasing every year so it could be something that I stick with for the foreseeable future."

It is not just Dan who will be learning either this year, "It is a brand new team that was formed about a month ago. My Mum and Dad have always been big motorsport fans and when the opportunity came along that we could possibly do the Coupe Cup, we decided to go for it. Through some contacts I have made in the last few years from working in the TOCA paddock and other events people are keen to help us along. We have had offers of help with facilities and to help me on the driving side. That is the great thing about the motorsport community, that there are people who are more than willing to help people who are new to the sport. We have had a busy few weeks organising and gathering things together and I expect it to be like that until a couple of days before Rockingham but we are enjoying it."

Blake has also had the boost as being recognised as a Power Maxed Racing backed driver for 2014, "The Power Maxed Racing backing was something I was not expecting as a novice. I applied on the off chance without seriously thinking I stood a chance. I hope that I am able to build a relationship with Power Maxed and I am very impressed already by the level of support that they have shown me. Being associated with a brand such as Power Maxed who are involved in the top levels of UK motorsport is humbling."

No comments:

Post a Comment