Wednesday 21 August 2013

Q&A with Mike Bushell

Renault Clio Cup front runner Mike Bushell got his first taste of a BTCC car yesterday (20th August 2013) when he tested the IP Tech Engineering Chevrolet Cruze around Snetterton. So, we caught up with the 24-year-old from Tunbridge Wells.

Can you tell us about your car racing career up to now?
Honestly my racing career has been quite short, three years ago I had not even driven a race car let alone race one. I did four races in 2011 in Fiesta's and was very fast and scored a podium at the last round. I jumped into Clio's as a privateer for 2012 and progressed towards the front of the grid and nearly won the last round.
Bushell has been a front runner in Clio's
Photo: Joshua Barrett

This is your second season of the Clio Cup, how is that going?
2013 started brilliantly, I got a pole at Brands and then podiums at both Brands and Donington. But I had a crash in the second race at Donington Park which destroyed the car and then at Thruxton I was left to learn a new car.

You gained KX Akademy status this season, how much of that is a help?
I got the KX Akademy backing and it has been massively helpful in raising my profile and ultimately has led to my test in Andy Neate's Chevrolet. The only downside with the KX backing is that the team that I moved to I never developed the same working relationship that I shared with Westbourne at the beginning of the year and found it a struggle. But the KX Akademy is a great platform for raising a drivers profile.

Bushell tested the Chevy around Snetterton
Photo: David Blake Photography

You had your first taste of a BTCC car on Tuesday, how was that?

The car was phenomenal. So fast and so much grip compared to a Clio, I was quickly on the pace, however I had to respect that the car is to be raced at Knockhill at the weekend so I couldn't drive flat out. but it was an incredible experience and has certainly given me a hunger to pitch myself again the best on the BTCC grid. I never dreamt that I would be in BTCC let alone ever drive one so at the moment I'm on cloud nine.

What are your plans for the BTCC in the future?
I'd love to be on the grid. I'm now going to try and work closely with Andy Neate to put all the pieces together for next year.


We would like to wish Mike all the best and hopefully we will see him on the BTCC grid next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment